Crested Butte Mountain just closed because of too much snow
January 9, 2017
CRESTED BUTTE — This end-of-the-road village is winning the Colorado snow count, with a second storm firing up late Sunday and pounding the East River Valley with two inches an hour for most of Monday.
It was yet another week of Snowmaggedon for Crested Butte. Last week saw Crested Butte Mountain Resort harvest a state-leading 47 inches from a hydrological hammerdrop. The resort's powder-cam snow stake on Monday was buried beyond its 18-inch top by midday and the resort, struggling with a windy, damp and bountiful storm, made the very rare call of closing early.
"CLOSED. For the safety of our guests and employees, we are shutting down operations early for the day," read the announcement on the powder cam.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Trending
- Avon woman wins her parking case in municipal court
- January snowfall on the minds of Vail skiers, snowboarders; Closing Day is Sunday, April 23
- Elephant tranquilizer turned up in area of Eagle County overdose deaths
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer found on scene of Blue Lake deaths
- Days the music died: 8150 one of many Vail music venues that have come and gone