Crested Butte Mountain just closed because of too much snow
January 9, 2017
CRESTED BUTTE — This end-of-the-road village is winning the Colorado snow count, with a second storm firing up late Sunday and pounding the East River Valley with two inches an hour for most of Monday.
It was yet another week of Snowmaggedon for Crested Butte. Last week saw Crested Butte Mountain Resort harvest a state-leading 47 inches from a hydrological hammerdrop. The resort's powder-cam snow stake on Monday was buried beyond its 18-inch top by midday and the resort, struggling with a windy, damp and bountiful storm, made the very rare call of closing early.
"CLOSED. For the safety of our guests and employees, we are shutting down operations early for the day," read the announcement on the powder cam.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Trending
- UPDATE: Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close again Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- Eagle County Sheriff’s Office identifies 22-year-old arrested in connection with alleged public masturbation
- Arvada woman pleads not guilty in Eagle County crash that killed two of her children
- Colorado police on the hunt for ‘The Mad Pooper’ — aka the poop-and-run jogger
- Avon council still doesn’t know cost of Ben Harper & Innocent Criminals concert