Middaugh, Middaugh win Xterra off-road triathlon events at Beaver Creek
July 15, 2017
BEAVER CREEK – There were no surprises Saturday at the main event of the Xterra off-road triathlon as local Josiah Middaugh won for the fifth straight year.
Spectators may have been surprised to see the results of the shorter sprint race, however, as Middaugh’s name was also atop that event.
None were more surprised than Josiah Middaugh to learn that his son, 13-year-old Sullivan, had won the sprint contest on Saturday.
“It was totally unexpected … That was his first time on the bike course this year,” Josiah Middaugh said of Sullivan. “He hasn’t really been training, just swimming twice a week at school.”
The Xterra full course event was a qualifier for the 2017 Xterra World Championship and includes a 1 mile swim, a 15 mile mountain bike ride and a 5.77-mile trail run. The sprint is a .5 mile swim, a 9-mile mountain bike ride and a 3-mile trail run. The sprint is designed to be more enjoyable, and that’s what Middaugh thinks helped his son the most in taking the win against competitors who were, in some cases, more than twice his age.
“He just wanted to have fun,” Josiah Middaugh said of Sullivan. “He was really excited about the race … he’s got the right mindset.”
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Trending
- Middaugh, Middaugh win Xterra off-road triathlon events at Beaver Creek
- Breaking: Eastbound Interstate 70 down to one lane near Wolcott
- Gutzler fire grows to 850 acres, updates available via Twitter
- Breaking: Eastbound U.S. Highway 6 closed west of Wolcott
- Fireworks could have caused brush fire in Edwards on Thursday (videos)
- Minturn man gets 20 to 40 years in prison for shooting at cops during robbery
- Vail Daily letter: Add more parking? Reduce the speed limit?
- Florida man busted in pair of Eagle County carfentanil overdose deaths
- Breaking: Interstate 70 eastbound near Dowd Junction reopened
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks