EDWARDS — The Inn at
Johnson grew up in the Vail Valley and began skiing moguls when her mother, Carol, signed her up for the Bumps and Jumps class at Ski and Snowboard Club Vail in 2009.
“I thought it would be a lot of jumping in the park and that is what she loved to do at the time,” Carol said. “When I picked her up she told me she skied moguls all day and I said ‘Oh no, I’m sorry, did I sign you up for the wrong class?’ And she said ‘No! I loved it,
At age 14, Johnson was the youngest competitor ever to be named to the United States Freestyle team. Now 18, Johnson recently completed her fourth season on the World Cup freestyle tour and was a participant in the 2018 Winter Olympics Games in Pyeongchang, Korea. Her skiing accomplishments include:
- 5th Place World Cup Overall, (2018-2019).
- 3rd Place – World Championships Dual Moguls, Deer Valley, Utah (February 2019).
- 1st Place – World Cup Duals Moguls, Tazawako, Japan (March 2018).
- 1st Place – US National Championships Dual Moguls, Waterville, New Hampshire (March 2018).
- 12th Place – Winter Olympic Games, Pyeongchang, South Korea (February 2018).
- 3rd Place – US National Championships Dual Moguls, Steamboat Springs, Colorado, (March 2017).
- 2nd place – Junior World Championships, Are, Sweden (April 2016).
Johnson graduated in 2018 from Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy. While at the school, she competed for and was captain of the girls’ soccer team at Vail Mountain School, which won two Colorado state championships.
“More important than all of that is that Tess is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet” Inn at Riverwalk General Manager Matt Tabor said. “When we first met with Tess, we were so impressed with how thoughtful, gracious and grateful she is. We were immediately sold that she would be a great representative for the i
In her role as Resident Olympian, Johnson will be involved in a number of promotional efforts, including appearances (such as on-site Q&A sessions, or “hike with Tess” events). She will also be a regular blog contributor. The inn also will keep their guests informed as to Johnson’s latest activities and accomplishments.
“I am so impressed by the Inn and their staff,” Johnson said. The entire property was recently renovated and it’s so nice. I really like that they provide ‘loaner’ bikes and snowshoes for their guests and provide ski transportation to Beaver Creek. It’s the perfect place for your relatives and friends when they’re in town.”
Johnson is the