Best of Vail: Best Barbecue
November 13, 2017
1. Moe's Original Bar B Que
2. Kirby Cosmo's BBQ Bar
Once you're close to Moe's Original Bar B Que, in Vail or Eagle, you'll smell the appeal before walking in the door. There's usually something delicious in the wood smokers, and there's always something delicious on the side-dish menu. Like the meat, the sides are made fresh and on site every day. And, like the meat, those sides are for sale until they're gone for the day. Jeff Althage at the Eagle Moe's location said football Saturdays will quickly exhaust the day's supply of smoked wings.
But that's part of the charm. Friendly folks and an open kitchen are part of the charm, too.
"We want to make people feel comfortable — like having dinner at your best friend's house," Althage said. And everyone does a little bit of everything. "People serving at lunch have been cooking all morning. … All the people who work here know how to cook."
While you're likely to meet friends on both sides of the counter during a visit to Moe's, you're likely to see some fresh faces, too. After starting with a food truck in Edwards and Eagle-Vail, Moe's has expanded to about 60 franchised locations. Everyone who starts a franchise works for six months at the Vail and Eagle locations to learn the business at the smoker, the register and with the people.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Best of Vail
- Silver Creek Fire near Kremmling grows to 3,198 acres; air quality advisory in effect for Eagle County
- Vail Valley’s most extravagant outdoor water users facing fines, disconnection
- Gypsum Town Council approves 591-unit Siena Lake proposal
- Lives in progress, a thing to behold: Carol Conger helped thousands of Vail Valley people start life right
- Ask a Realtor: When should I get an appraisal on my property? (column)