Best of Vail: Best Local Winter Festival
November 13, 2017
1. Birds of Prey World Cup Races
1. Burton U.S. Open
3. Vail Snow Daze
The Birds of Prey ski races are so popular that they don't even need to take place to be voted into the top spot. While warm weather forced the cancellation of the annual World Cup event in 2016, that didn't stop the America's Winter Opening party from taking place.
Ever wonder where the Birds of Prey course gets its name? Nathaniel Vinton describes it best in his book "The Fall Line," where he writes, "The racers look like hawks folding their wings up and diving for prey."
The Burton U.S. Open is known as The World's Greatest Snowboard Event, and since moving to Vail in 2013 it has provided the venue for the world's greatest slopestyle run (Yuki Kadono in 2015), and the world's greatest halfpipe run (Shaun White in 2017). Kadono's run contained back-to-back triple cork 1620s, regular and switch, and White's six-hit run included both the 1440 YOLO flip and his signature Double McTwist 1260.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Best of Vail
- Discovery Channel’s ‘Gold Rush’ is leaving Park County, but residents continue to fight for more mining oversight
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Alice McKennis earns spot in Wednesday’s Olympic downhill
- Mikaela Shiffrin opts out of downhill at Pyeongchang Olympics