Best of Vail: Best Outdoor Sports Gear
November 13, 2017
1. Ptarmigan Sports
2. Alpine Quest Sports
3. Transition Sports
We happen to live in an area where the outdoors rules: hiking, biking, running, mountaineering, skiing, snowboarding, camping — the list of things to do in the great outdoors is indeed long. And, of course, no one is interested in the easy way. The more gnarly, radical and challenging, the better. Good thing there's a local store to outfit the rad outdoor enthusiast: Ptarmigan Sports.
The shop, located in the Riverwalk at Edwards, is an adventurer's paradise. The store carries essentials — then again, an essential to me is extraneous to you — and the staff has the answers to technical and not-so-technical questions, from what route to take to tackle your first, or 15th 14er, to exactly what to pack in your new backpack.
From down sleeping bags to down coats, camp stoves to hiking poles, cute (yet technically savvy) toques to guide books and maps, Ptarmigan Sports can make roughing it just a little bit easier.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Best of Vail
- Brothers arrested in Garfield, Eagle drug trafficking ring
- Vail Valley’s 2018 graduating seniors: a salute
- Minturn’s 5,000-gallon-a-day water loss in the Union Pacific mobile home park (letter)
- Runoff has already peaked from Vail Valley-area rivers; there’s concern for summer
- Eagle County pledges $500,000 to jump start mental health services; Mental Health Advisory Committee named