Eagle-Vail dog memorial taking shape
June 28, 2018
The dog memorial in Eagle-Vail's West Park is starting to come together, thanks to Madeleine Berenson, who turned her mourning from losing Moose, a 12-year-old chocolate Lab, into a positive effort that honors not only Moose, but all Eagle-Vail dogs.
Berenson, an Eagle-Vail resident, has been painting the six-sectioned ceiling of the gazebo with a mural depicting six attributes of dogs that endear them to humans. Plans are to trim the roof with a custom-designed flag and replacing the grill with a dog statue.
However, Berenson is still looking for donations to help with the rest of the project. For more information or to find out about volunteering or making donation, contact Berenson at email@example.com or visit the Eagle-Vail West Park Dog Memorial Facebook page.
With her own two hands and $250 worth of supplies donated from Home Depot, Berenson has been hard at work to start the summer.
"This might not seem like a very big deal, but for someone who's neither fond of heights or ladders, I am here to say it was quite a big deal indeed," she said.
Recommended Stories For You
Berenson has enjoyed meeting fellow residents of Eagle-Vail, and their dogs, during the process. She's waiting for her granddaughter Violet, 8, to get into town from Portland, Oregon, on her first solo flight to finish the purple section because, well, her name's Violet.
"I have met lots of good-hearted people while painting this ceiling, and dogs as well," she said. "It's been a connecting, joyous and healing experience."
Berenson is grateful to the community for helping back her project, including the folks at Venture Sports, where she gets her mountain bike worked on.
"Three guys who work there just put money in an envelope for me," she said, "which meant a lot."
Berenson is looking forward to completing the project in July, with a dedication ceremony at some point at the park in Eagle-Vail.
Trending In: Entertainment
- New Edwards grab-and-go eatery makes gourmet convenient
- Mountain Dew Snow Dance announces lineup, free events at Breckenridge
- Cheap ski gear for sale at Colorado Ski & Snowboard Expo this weekend
- An expert’s guide to skier parking in Vail and Avon
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife sends public reminder after sickly mountain lion kitten removed from private home
- Woman found in Vail Dumpster requests exclusion of police testimony from trial, scheduled for February
- Best of Vail 2018 winners (full list)
- Is the Vail Valley’s good early snow a sign of more powder through the winter?
- Vail’s Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin