Vail Today: Hot chocolate an elevated experience at The Sebastian (video)
February 11, 2017
Hot chocolate is often part of ski vacations, but you haven't truly experienced hot chocolate until you've tried this decadent drink at The Sebastian Vail.
Pastry chef Laura Kretzing pours hours of time, dedication and love into this concoction that is more of an experience than it is a libation. Kretzing and her team hand-make all of the spheres that comprise the Signature Hot Chocolate available throughout the hotel. These spheres are made with Valrhona milk chocolate and then filled with house-made marshmallows containing a little Bailey's Irish Cream and chocolate crunch pearls. They are decorated with a little gold "dust" and placed into a large glass mug.
Then the magic begins. The tableside presentation attracts a crowd and brings forth cellphones to caputre video of what happens next. The piping hot chocolate is served up in a teapot and poured over the sphere. This truly is liquid love — vanilla, cloves, star anise, cinnamon and cardamom spice up this drink that would be delicious on it's own, but while it is being poured over the sphere, it melts a hole in it, which allows the marshmallows and chocolate crunch pearls to pop out of the sphere and float on top and appeal to the senses. The first sip is heavenly.
"Laura puts so much love into each sphere, it really is a work of art," said Julie Goraj, senior marketing manager for the Sebastian. "When you think of the Sebastian as a whole, this property is a work of art, from the fixtures outside to all of the artwork inside. It's fitting that our Signature Hot Chocolate is a work of art, as well."
The Signature Hot Chocolate is served every day but they also have four different hot chocolates that are offered different weeks of the month. The same tableside presentation is utilized to wow everyone around. Flavors such as peppermint, mocha, caramel and raspberry truffle will make you want to go back each week to try something new.
Recommended Stories For You
This Valentine's Day, take your sweetie to The Sebastian to experience chocolate in a whole new way.
Trending In: Food & Drink
- Christmas in Vail: Belly up to a holiday feast at valley restaurants
- Experience the magic of Allie’s Cabin at Beaver Creek
- Baking Beauty: Vail’s Amber Croom competing on Food Network’s Holiday Baking Championship
- Building a little dining empire at the Gypsum Creek Center
- Eat on Vail Mountain at Bistro Fourteen
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- City of Aspen slams on brakes with Lyft contract
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest