Get down and derby: 6th annual Melee in the Mountains returns April 27-29
April 8, 2018
Melee in the Mountains, a three-day event featuring a sanctioned roller derby tournament, returns to Dobson Ice Arena Friday to Sunday, April 27-29.
The 10th Mountain Roller Dolls will host five visiting teams, and new this year will be an expanded schedule of events for the community. The tournament is sanctioned by the Women's Flat Track Derby Association and influences national rankings.
Friday, April 27
Mix-up Bout; Community Open Skate; and Meet n' Greet
From 5 to 7 p.m. on Friday, get a sneak peak into the action with a free Mix-up Bout, featuring skaters from across the region as well as members of the home team — the Troopers.
Recommended Stories For You
Following the action will be a community open skate as well as a meet-and-greet at Pazzos Pizzeria in Vail Village.
Saturday, April 28
Sanctioned Roller Derby Bouts
Happening all day — from 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. — check out the bootie-blocking, juking and jamming action of sanctioned roller derby bouts at Dobson Ice Arena.
Sunday, April 29
Single Elimination Roller Derby Bouts
From 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., this seeded tournament will include visiting teams from across the nation battling for national rankings. Tournament hosts 10th Mountain Roller Dolls Mountaineers welcome teams from Alaska, North Carolina and Pennsylvania, among other states.
A cash prize is available during Saturday's and Sunday's halftime Chuck-A-Duck contest. Purchase a duck for $5 or three for $10 and test your chuck-it strategy to land the quacker on the target. The tournament after-party starts at 6 p.m. in Lionshead at Bart & Yeti's featuring music from The Runaway Grooms on Sunday.
For a complete tournament schedule, visit http://www.meleeinthemountains.com.
The Antler's Hotel in Lionshead will be offering discounted hotel rooms for tournament participants and fans.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Mountain Dew Snow Dance announces lineup, free events at Breckenridge
- New Edwards grab-and-go eatery makes gourmet convenient
- An expert’s guide to skier parking in Vail and Avon
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days
- Cheap ski gear for sale at Colorado Ski & Snowboard Expo this weekend
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife sends public reminder after sickly mountain lion kitten removed from private home
- Vail’s Shiffrin wins season-opening World Cup slalom by huge margin
- Is the Vail Valley’s good early snow a sign of more powder through the winter?
- Vail Valley Running Club qualifies for nationals again
- Vail Valley-based Hackernoon using equity crowdfunding to fuel new growth