Programming, casting notes for International Evenings of Dance at Vail Dance Festival
International Evenings of Dance I
• Celebrate The Beat
• “The Dream,” Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe
• New work, Michelle Dorrance, Justin Peck
• “Swan Lake” (White Swan Pas de Deux), Unity Phelan, Cory Stearns
• “Handel Duet,” Tiler Peck, Joseph Gordon
• “Romeo and Juliet” (Balcony Pas de Deux), Misty Copeland, Herman Cornejo
• “Afternoon of a Faun,” Lauren Lovette, Calvin Royal III
• New work, Lil Buck, Caroline Shaw
• “Scenario” (an excerpt), Jared Angle, Daniel Applebaum, India Bradley, Preson Chamblee, Jason Collins, Herman Cornejo, Patricia Delgado, Christopher Grant, Misa Kuranaga, Victor Lozano, Miriam Miller, Amelia Sturt-Dilley, Devon Teuscher, Melissa Toogood
• “This Bitter Earth,” Isabella Boylson, Calvin Royal III
• Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, Tiler Peck, Roman Mejia
International Evenings of Dance II
• “Stars and Stripes,” Unity Phelan, Joseph Gordon
• “Desire Liar,” Rashaun Mitchell, Silas Riener
• “Chaconne” (excerpt), Tiler Peck, Cory Stearns
• Pas de Deux from “William Tell,” Lauren Lovette Roman Mejia
• “Suite of Dances,” Herman Cornejo
• “In Creases,” Isabella Boylston, Devon Teuscher, Calvin Royal III, Misa Kuranaga, Daniel Applebaum, Preston Chamblee, Christopher Grant, Patricia Delgado
• “Come Sunday,” Alicia Graf Mack
• “Chroma” (excerpt), Francesca Hayward, Marcelino Sambe
• “The Music and The Mirror” from “A Chorus Line,” Tiler Peck
• “Ascending Bird,” Lil Buck, Michelle Dorrance, Naomi Funaki, Ron “Prime Time” Myles, Dario Natarelli, Phyouture “Lil P”
Note: Casting for performances is subject to change.
VAIL — On Friday, Aug. 3, and Saturday, Aug. 4, the Vail Dance Festival presents International Evenings of Dance at the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail. These two unique gala evenings of innovation and artistic collaboration include debuts and new partnerships by a selection of today’s foremost dancers from around the world.
Misty Copeland, principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre, is one of the stars returning to the Vail stage, performing the Balcony Pas de Deux from “Romeo and Juliet” on Friday night only.
“I was thinking this morning about how excited I am to see everyone in Vail,” Copeland said.
“It’s such an artistically fulfilling time in our careers when dancers from across the globe come together in Vail and form lifelong friendships and inspire one another.”
Vail Dance Festival Artistic Director Damian Woetzel, along with his wife, Heather Watts, has created an environment during his 12-year tenure with the festival that inspires dancers to return year after year, Copeland said.
“It’s not just the beautiful place, views, nature and stunning stage that has made the Vail Dance Festival what it is,” Copeland said. “But it’s the artists and dedicated fans who come to experience and see a supportive community, art, passion and love.
“I’m so honored to have been invited back for as long as I have. I will be dancing my favorite role, Juliet, with someone whom I’ve formed the most special, genuine, trusting and dream partnership with: the incomparable Herman Cornejo.”
Both performances begin at 7:30 p.m. Reserve seating is sold out for both performances, though some lawn tickets remained at press time. Lawn seating is $25 for adults, $10 for children ages 13 to 17, and children 12 and younger are free.
Visit http://www.vaildance.org to purchase tickets and view the full season schedule. Follow the Festival on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.