Terra Bistro wins Garden to Glass event
Annual cocktail competition raises funds and awareness for land conservation
The Eagle Valley Land Trust invited guests out to not only enjoy the beautiful Copper Bar Ranch but also to try some handcrafted cocktails by area mixologists as part of the third annual Garden to Glass fundraiser on Aug. 22. Garden to Glass is a fun reception featuring a cocktail competition that challenges local bars and restaurants to create their most amazing beverage highlighting a single secret ingredient. This year’s secret ingredient was sage.
Each guest voted for their favorite drink and decided which restaurant earned the grand prize. The winner received a $500 check, a trophy and an invitation to stay for the Farm to Fork dinner after the Garden to Glass event. Terra Bistro bartender Scott Shannon and General Manager Jessie Rethman took home top honors for their creation, Sage + Vice, a play on the word “advice.”
“We came back with a vengeance because last year we were the runner up to Pivot62,” Shannon said.
The mission of Eagle Valley Land Trust is to forever protect lands, scenic beauty, heritage, recreational opportunities and wildlife habitats while building a permanent legacy for future generations.
“Savor Our Mountain Heritage” was this year’s theme. Fitting into that theme, Copper Bar Ranch has a history of being an original homestead property in the mid-1890s and was along the stagecoach route from Red Cliff to Eagle. John and Diana Donovan, the current owners, said their goal is to keep it plain and simple — much like the original homesteaders.
“Garden to Glass is a unique and uniquely accessible event that celebrates the creativity of our local food and beverage savants, the bounty of our local environment, the joy of communing in a spectacular local setting and the intoxicating effects of preserving forever the local lands that we collectively cherish,” said T.J. Voboril, an Eagle Valley Land Trust board member.
Here’s a description of the drinks from each bar or restaurant:
- Terra Bistro, Sage + Vice: Montanya rum, sage simple syrup, Palisade peaches and a sage shrub with prosecco topper.
- La Tour Restaurant & Bar, Sage of Consent: Vanilla bean-infused Tito’s vodka, Averna Amaro, sage-infused Hawaiian passion fruit, lemon zest cordial, house-made cacao and nutmeg bitters, Maui red sea salt solution, pineapple sage tincture.
- 10th Mountain Whiskey & Spirit Co., Mountain Trooper Old Fashioned: 10th Mountain whiskey, brown butter, fried sage, sage honey.
- The Rose, Smudge This: Four Roses Bourbon, canton ginger, blue agave, grapefruit, orange bitters and fresh sage.
- Vail Catering Concepts, the Classic Sidecar: Infused with lemon zest and Knapp Ranch pineapple sage.
To learn more about the event or about the Eagle Valley Land Trust, visit evlt.org/garden-to-glass.