200 evacuated after Vail natural gas leak | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

200 evacuated after Vail natural gas leak

Steve Lynn
Vail, CO Colorado

VAIL ” A natural gas leak from a restaurant led to the evacuation of about 200 people from a shopping center in West Vail for nearly two-and-a-half hours Monday, said Suzanne Silverthorn, spokeswoman for the town of Vail.

A defect in the May Palace kitchen’s exhaust system was the source of the leak, Silverthorn said.

At 10:40 a.m., a strong smell of natural gas was reported in the garage area and the building was evacuated, she said.

Children from the Vail Child Care Center and employees from City Market and other businesses were bussed to Donovan Pavilion during the leak, she said. Parents picked up their kids at the building, she said.

A portion of Vail Commons, including City Market, were reopened at 1 p.m. and some employees returned to work, she said.

However, homes and businesses on the north side of the center were closed throughout the afternoon, she said. Authorities planned on letting people back into their homes after utilities were being restored about 5 p.m., she said.

Vail firefighters and emergency services workers shut off utilities to isolate the leak while Xcel Energy workers came about 15 minutes later, she said. No injuries were reported.

Staff Writer Steve Lynn can be reached at 748-2931 or slynn@vaildaily.com.


Support Local Journalism


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User