5-year-old torches Denver-area garage
The Denver Post
A 5-year-old boy set fire to the garage of his Lakewood home this morning, heavily damaging the garage and giving his mother and other family members a scare, a West Metro Fire Protection District spokeswoman said.
The fire at 85 Gray St. sent a large plume of black smoke over the Denver suburb as 40 firefighters battled the blaze.
No injuries were reported.
Three engines, a ladder truck and a couple of medical units were sent to the fire to prevent its spread to nearby homes in the five-plex, district spokeswoman Micki Trost said.
The boy told Trost he had been watching cartoons when he discovered a lighter and went into the garage and set fire to some lint next to the clothes dryer.
The boy said he then told his mom there was smoke in the garage but that his mother didn’t believe him. So he went and told a neighbor, said Trost.
For more of this Denver Post story: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13270179