Alamosa reports salmonella death
ALAMOSA, Colo. ” A person who was found to have the same strain of salmonella that was in the city’s water supply before it was disinfected has died, Alamosa County health officials said.
Health officials confirmed the death Friday but did not release the victim’s identity. Health officials said the victim also had other health conditions.
It was the first death of anyone infected from an outbreak detected in early March. After several people reported symptoms of salmonella infection, tests showed city water was contaminated.
It was not known how the victim who died contracted the bacteria.
There have been 411 reported cases of salmonella linked to the outbreak, with 112 of those cases confirmed through laboratory testing. Eighteen people had to be hospitalized.
Residents were restricted from using city water straight from the tap for more than three weeks while the water system was disinfected. Tap water was declared safe again April 11.
Information from: The Pueblo Chieftain, http://www.chieftain.com
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
VAIL — The lift operator in the maze at Vail Village’s Gondola One tilts his head back and hollers: “Masks up please!”