Animal waste may have caused salmonella outbreak in Colo. town
DENVER – Health officials say animal waste was the likely reason for a salmonella outbreak that spread through a southern Colorado city’s tap water supply last year.
The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said Wednesday the animal waste may have gotten into Alamosa’s water supply because an in-ground water storage tank had several holes and cracks. The health department announced its findings in a 65-page report.
One person died because of the outbreak and as many as 1,300 may have gotten sick from the water.
The health department also says Alamosa’s water was not chlorinated at the time of the outbreak because the city had state waivers that exempted it from requirements to disinfect its drinking water.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
In Eagle County, the most commonly reported dead bird has been the Wilson’s warbler, which is yellow. Dead yellow-rumped warblers have also been a common sight.