Course uses stories about character
July 11, 2016
VAIL — How do we beat burnout, gain perspective when our judgment is clouded and make progress on the goals most important to us? The newest course from the Rohr Jewish Learning Institute offers an interesting twist to dealing with these common challenges — an approach that examines the stories and characters of kings and prophets.
Beginning today at 10 a.m., followed by an evening course at 7:15 p.m., Rabbi Dovid Mintz, of the Chabad Jewish Center, will conduct the six sessions of the course Strength and Struggle: Lessons in Character from the Stories of Our Prophets.
"Strength and Struggle is a journey in which we gain insight into our own struggles by examining the lives of inspiring biblical heroes and antiheroes," said Rabbi Levi Kaplan, of Jewish Learning Institute headquarters in Brooklyn, New York. "For many, it will fill an important gap in knowledge in the area of biblical history, and it provides fascinating wisdom from the Talmud and 3,000 years of Jewish literature, to help them deal with life's struggles on the road to becoming more effective people."
Strength and Struggle spans six eras in biblical history, to acquaint participants with the nuances of the Israelites' earliest history and intimate details, as seen in the lives of many of its beloved characters, including David, Saul, Ruth, Jephthah, Elijah, Elisha and Jonah.
"The course is filled with eternal lessons for life — of struggle and triumph, courage and humility, hope and resilience," Mintz said. "If you've ever wanted to meet King David in person, this is about as close as you'll come."
Strength and Struggle is designed to appeal to people at all levels of Jewish knowledge, including those without any prior experience or background in Jewish learning.
Recommended Stories For You
All Jewish Learning Institute courses are open to the public, and attendees need not be affiliated with a particular synagogue, temple, or other house of worship. For more information, call 970-476-7887 or go to http://www.JewishVail.com.
Trending In: Announcements
- Adam Sandler coming to Denver in 2019, with special guest
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area opens lift-serviced expansion into the Beavers
- Xcel Energy, Colorado’s largest utility, committed to going 100 percent carbon-free by 2050
- Benjamin Dantas excels at climbing championships
- Local vacuum store expands its services
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz gives $2 million in grants to support mental health programs
- Vail Resorts stock took epic tumble Friday
- Was that comment about ‘peasants’ riding the bus intended to be funny? (letter)
- Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats and Shakey Graves to headline Vail Snow Days