Vail climbers excel at Boulder event
VAIL — The Vail Athletic Club Climbing Team recently competed in Boulder, where 200 athletes gathered from five Western states to compete at the U.S.A. Climbing Divisional Championships, a qualifying event for the National Championships. This bouldering-only competition requires an invitation to attend and athletes travelled to Ogden, Utah last month to earn a chance for this event. The VAC Climbing Team had nine athletes qualify, and they all traveled with their families to Boulder last month for the two-day competition.
Qualifiers took place on Saturday, with each athlete climbing on four different problems, each requiring its own skill set, at a very high level of difficulty. The most points are earned by getting to the top of the problem on your first attempt, but if you fail, you may try as many times as possible during the five minute time limit. Scores are tallied based on the number of “tops” or scored on the highest hand hold the climber controls. On Saturday, three athletes qualified for the final round on Sunday — Camille Olson, Emma Bergsten and Benji Dantas.
• Camille Olson, 10th place.
• Emma Bergsten, 10th place.
• Oliver Chantler, 13th place.
• Lukas Bergsten, 13th place.
• Amalia Manning, 14th place.
• Ava Bergsten, 14th place.
• Lindsey Peterson, 16th place.
• Brody Nielsen, 21st place.
• Benjamin Dantas, first place. Benjamin is competing at the U.S.A. Climbing Bouldering National Championships this weekend in Salt Lake City.