Arguments for Obama, McCain from Vail Valley voters | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Arguments for Obama, McCain from Vail Valley voters

Lauren Glendenning
lglendenning@vaildaily.com
Eagle County, CO Colorado

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado ” Voters in Eagle-Vail and Avon, Colorado were active in the mid-afternoon as a steady stream headed in and out of the Eagle-Vail Pavilion and Avon Municipal Building, many of whom said they had just cast a vote for Republican candidate Sen. John McCain.

About 60 percent of the county’s registered voters either voted early or by absentee, and by the looks of the polls today it seemed like the other 40 percent were doing their civic duty as well.

Two wars abroad and a national economic crisis, with effects felt here in the valley, brought voters to the polls informed and ready. Many carried their blue books that explained the 18 amendments and referendums on Colorado’s ballot this year ” it was speedier to bring a cheat sheet.



Voters didn’t need cheat sheets for the presidential race, however, as opinions for and against each candidate were strong. People have been paying attention to this historic election and it showed.

“I’ve spent a lot of time following the race,” said Tim Simon, an Eagle-Vail man who voted for Sen. John McCain. “I’ve been following the issues throughout; it’s consuming.”



Some voters heated up when asked about who should be our next commander-in-chief, others kept to themselves and kept their opinions, like their ballots, secret.

“It’s the lesser of two evils,” said Tom Cigno, who voted for McCain. “Socialism or totalitarianism.”

Cigno voted for the Green Party and independent candidate Ralph Nader in the last four elections. He said at least Nader was a third choice, but this year he felt he had to choose either the Republican or Democratic nominee.



“(Sen. Barack) Obama scares me that much,” Cigno said.

Several McCain supporters referred to Obama as a socialist ” not someone they envision running the country. Lauren Phillips, a 24-year-old voter from Eagle-Vail, said she believes in the American military and doesn’t think we should pull out of the Middle East, which is why she believes in McCain.

“I don’t want a socialist running our country,” she said. “One of the best quotes I’ve heard is that McCain was a POW for longer than Obama has been a senator.”

“I don’t want to give half my salary to someone who doesn’t want to work,” said Karin Oquinn, an Eagle-Vail woman who voted for McCain. “I don’t want to spread the wealth.”

Equally as scary for Democrats is the thought of McCain winning the election. That scenario would just equal four more years of President Bush, said Avon voter Joe Worrell.

Worrell is a veteran and said he respects McCain, a veteran and prisoner of war, but he just didn’t see McCain as the right choice for America.

For young voters like Megan Tate, of Avon, Obama has been inspiring from the beginning of his campaign. She believes in his promises for change and likes what she hears.

For Worrell, the promises mean more equality throughout American class distinctions.

“I think he’s going to turn it around and take care of the middle class for a change,” he said.

And change is exactly what voters talked about, whether they were supporting Obama or McCain.

“I don’t just want change,” Worrell said. “We need change.”


Support Local Journalism