Around the Valley news briefs
EDWARDS Saturdays annual Back to School Health Fair at Berry Creek Middle School will double as a benefit and fund-raiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina.Set to take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., the Vail Valley Medical Center event will have traditional health screenings and information. Also on hand will be the brothers who own Bagalis restaurant in West Vail, who will collect supplies to load into a donated U-Haul they will drive to Louisiana Tuesday.Food and supply donations can be brought to the middle school in Edwards; cash donations will also be accepted by Alpine Bank. The bank will match the donations for the Red Cross up to $10,000. Those looking to donate supplies are asked to bring the following: bottled water, flashlights, diapers, razors, soap, shampoo, light clothing, feminine products, nutritional bars, baby formula, non-perishable food, sleeping bags and generators.Volunteers from the Relocate Katrina Benefit Fund will also be on-site to raise money to relocate a family to live here in the Valley. At 9 p.m., the benefit continues at Bagalis, where a $25 donation gains entry to an evening of food, drink and entertainment. Donations will also be accepted at the restaurant, which will be open at 3 p.m. Vail, Colorado
EAGLE COUNTY In a twist on the rubber duck race fund-raiser, the First Tee Program will raise money next month by dropping golf balls from a hot-air balloon.First Tee is a program of The Youth Foundation in Edwards that makes golf accessible and affordable to children. There will be 1,000 charity golf balls available for purchase at $100 each, which will be dropped from a hot-air balloon over Eagle County Oct. 7. If your ball drops in the cup, you win 25 percent of the proceeds, up to $25,000. The other 75 percent goes to the Youth Foundation and First Tee of Eagle County.To purchase a ball, call the Youth Foundation at 926-8905 or e-mail email@example.com. You can also mail a check to The Youth Foundation, P.O. Box 2761, Edwards, CO 81632.For more information, go to theyouthfoundation.org or call the number above.
EAGLE COUNTY The Vail Symposium and Colorado Mountain College have released their fall line-up of adult education programs.Vail Symposiums backyard adventures continue this fall with a trip to the Meeker Classic Sheepdog Championship Trials on Sunday, and a field trip Oct.. 2 to explore 2000 year-old caves during a private tour at the Glenwood Caverns. On Oct. 23, local artist, print and papermaker, Susan Mackin Dolan will conduct a workshop. Denver film critic Walter Chaw will teach Monday Night at the Movies An Introduction to Film Study. There will be a womens relaxation weekend Nov. 3 to Nov. 6 in Ojo Caliente, N.M. Reservations are required for all programs. For more information or to make a contact the Vail Symposium at 476-0954 or http://www.vailsymposium.org.
EAGLE COUNTY Crime Stoppers is offering a continuing education scholarship of up to $500 to public safety workers in Eagle County. Eligible candidates must work or volunteer for an Eagle County police department, the Sheriffs Office, the Colorado State Patrol, a county fire department or the ambulance services. The money must be used for courses relevant to emergency services.Anyone interested in applying can pick up an application at the Eagle County Sheriffs Office at 0885 East Chambers Ave., Eagle, or call Tanny McGinnis at 328-8510 to request an application by mail. The deadline for applications is Oct. 30. Applications should be returned to Eagle County Crimestoppers, Board of Directors, P.O. Box 1616, Eagle, Colorado 81631.For more information call 328-7007 or 1-800-962-TIPS.
BEAVER CREEK The Dusty Book Steakhouse & Saloon will donate all proceeds from dinner Wednesday, and then match the amount, to multiple sclerosis programs at Edwards Heuga Center.The Heuga Center is a national nonprofit organization that tries to help multiple sclerosis sufferers remain active. For more information call The Heuga Center at 926-1290 or the Dusty Boot Saloon, 748-1146.Vail, Colorado
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Case numbers for COVID-19 are rising in Eagle County, and just about everywhere else. To save the new ski season, Vail officials are taking new measures to slow the spread, limiting virtually all gatherings to…