Authorities search Aspen home where family found dead
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN, Colorado ” A team headed by Pitkin County sheriff’s investigators executed a search warrant Thursday morning at the Aspen-area home where a family of four was found dead last week, authorities said.
The residence is at 10 Popcorn Lane, about four miles east of Aspen. Parker and Caroline Lofgren and their children, Owen and Sophie, were found dead in a bedroom there; they apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
The team, which also includes building and heating experts, arrived at the home at about 10:30 a.m Thursday, said Deputy Marie Munday, public information officer for the sheriff’s department.
Investigators are believed to be looking for a carbon monoxide detector at the home, which is located adjacent to the North Star Nature Preserve.
The county building code requires homes to have one carbon monoxide detector, but the code is not specific as to the detector’s location in the residence, according to the sheriff’s office. Authorities sought the search warrant in hopes of determining whether or not the house was in compliance with the requirement.
Authorities indicated they would release an update on the case Thursday afternoon, but also said they don’t expect much new information to be made available.