Avon gets funds for water wheel
Avon, CO Colorado
AVON , Colorado” The town of Avon has been awarded a grant of $20,473 by the Colorado Historical Society to help fund the second phase the exterior restoration of the Nottingham Power Plant, planned for next summer.
Phase one began in October 2008. Under the supervision of Bob Ogle, Associate Professor of Historic Preservation at Colorado Mountain College (CMC), students dismantled the water wheel and related support timbers for restoration. Students at the Leadville CMC campus are currently working on restoration of the wheel.
The Nottingham Power Plant, a self constructed wooden water wheel, was built on the Eagle River in 1928 by the family of Emmett and Myrtle Nottingham. The Plant generated electricity for use for the family and the nearby Avon Depot. The Plant received a historical designation from the Colorado Historical Society in November 2006 and local designation from the Town of Avon in July 2008.