Avon gets grant for Nottingham Power Plant preservation
AVON, Colorado ” The Town of Avon has been awarded a grant of $20, 473 by the Colorado Historical Society to help fund the exterior restoration of the Nottingham Power Plant.
Funding will be used for the second phase of an ongoing restoration project, specifically to restore the supporting structures of the water wheel, the surrounding walls, return of the restored water wheel, and archeological monitoring. This work is planned to take place in the summer of 2009.
Phase one began in October 2008. Under the supervision of Bob Ogle, Associate Professor of Historic Preservation at Colorado Mountain College (CMC), students dismantled the water wheel and related support timbers for restoration.
Students at the Leadville CMC campus are currently working on restoration of the wheel. However, before the water wheel can be put back in place the site and supporting structure also needs stabilizing, which will be the second phase of the project.
“Some of the key components are in good condition,” said Jeanette Hix, the Chair of Avon’s Historical Preservation Committee, “but the structure has collapsed due to deterioration of the wood, loss of the roof and scavenging of material.”
The Nottingham Power Plant, a self constructed wooden water wheel, was built on the Eagle River in 1928 by the family of Emmett and Myrtle Nottingham. The Plant generated electricity for use for the family and the nearby Avon Depot. The Plant received a historical designation from the Colorado Historical Society in November 2006 and local designation from the Town of Avon in July 2008.
Upon completion of the restoration and stabilization of the Nottingham Power Plant, an historic marker will be placed at the nearest street to the site with interpretive signage for the enjoyment and education for generations to come.