Bacterial pneumonia caused Vail man’s death, coroner says | VailDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

Bacterial pneumonia caused Vail man’s death, coroner says

Special to the Daily
obituaries@vaildaily.com
Vail, CO Colorado

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado – A longtime Vail local died of bacterial pneumonia, not the flu, said the Eagle County coroner.

Benjamin John Matthews, 33, of Eagle-Vail, died Monday in his home.

Following an autopsy, Kara Bettis, Eagle County coroner, determined that bacterial pneumonia caused the death.



Friends said he had been sick for several days.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Vail Marriott Mountain Resort. The address is 715 West Lionshead Circle in Vail. There will be a memorial in Lincoln with dates and time to be announced.

Participate in The Longevity Project

The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.



Matthews was Nov. 4, 1979, to John and Diana Matthews, in Loma Linda, Calif. He graduated from Lincoln Southeast High School in 1998 and from the University of Southwest Missouri State University with a B.S. in cartographic sciences, magna cum laude, in 2002.

After college, Ben lived in Kansas City, Mo.; Washington, D.C.; Waikiki, Hawaii; and Denver before coming to Vail.

Ben is survived by his mother, Diana; his father, John; as well as four siblings: Nic and Nate, of Vail, and Desiree and Tyler, of Lincoln, Neb.


Support Local Journalism