Beaver Creek lights tree Friday
Vail, CO Colorado
BEAVER CREEK – Beaver Creek kicks off the holidays today with a Fantasy Gingerbread Competition and tree lighting ceremony and fireworks display in the village.
Elaborate gingerbread creations will be on display at the Park Hyatt and 100 percent of silent auction proceeds will go to Court Appointed Special Advocates, a local organization serving abused and neglected children in Eagle, Summit, Lake and Clear Creek counties.
There also will be a special “Kids’ Holiday Wish for a Better World Poetry Contest” and the contest winner will read his or her poem at the Tree lighting Ceremony and will have the honor of lighting Beaver Creek’s holiday tree. Local judges will select poems that best reflect the spirit of the holiday season.
Here is the schedule:
• 3 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.: Free public viewing and silent auction of gingerbread creations in the Gerald R. Ford Hall at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa.
• 5:30-6:30 p.m.: Tree lighting ceremony on Beaver Creek Plaza with musical performances, fireworks and a visit from Santa Claus.
• 6:30-7 p.m.: Hot chocolate and cookies served in the lobby of the Vilar Performing Arts Center.
• 7 p.m.: Free family movie viewing of “Fred Claus” at the Vilar Performing Arts Center. Seating available on a first-come, first-served basis, with tickets available beginning at 5 p.m. at the Vilar Center box office.
• 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.: Complimentary ice skating after the event on the Black Family Ice Rink. There will be no skating from 4:30-7 p.m. in order to accommodate the ceremony.
For more information visit http://www.beavercreek.com.