Big boxes open after gas leak
AVON ” The big boxes reopened Thursday after a gas leak closed the stores Wednesday.
Both Wal-Mart and Home Depot were evacuated Wednesday and have been experiencing gas problems for over a week.
Leaks in the heating system on the Wal-Mart roof were inspected, repaired and tested through the night and early morning hours Thursday, said Carol Mulson, deputy chief of the Eagle River Fire Protection District. The repairs were later OK’d by town inspectors.
Meanwhile, Home Depot officials were given permission to open despite broken gas pipes, Mulson said.
The gas is shut off and there is no danger. Standalone heaters were used to warm the building, Mulson said.
Participate in The Longevity Project
The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.
“We were glad we were able to get them open again,” Mulson said.
Much of the snow, which caused the gas pipe to break under the weight, was removed from the heating system and other areas, Mulson said.
“Obviously they’re going to pay more attention to drifting snow and snowstorms,” Mulson said.
Staff Writer J.K. Perry can be reached at 949-0555, ext. 14622, or email@example.com.