Bookworm of Edwards announces writing contest with kick-off event
Vail, CO Colorado
EDWARDS, Colorado – Local author Lindsay Eland to lead a writers’ workshop for kids on Wednesday at The Bookworm of Edwards. The workshop will kick off the first annual children’s writing contest hosted by the bookstore, which lasts seven weeks. The idea to host a writing contest at The Bookworm came out of a teen author event hosted by The Bookworm last fall.
“When it was time for the Q and A period, the kids in the audience asked question after question about their own writing. It turned out we had a room full of young writers who wanted advice from published authors,” said Franny Gustafson, children’s book specialist.
A series of events are scheduled to support writers in grades 3 through 12 and concludes with a finale event to announce winners and honorable mentions.
“When I was a child, I filled entire notebooks full of stories and poems,” Gustafson said. “I would have loved the opportunity to attend a workshop like this and be a part of a writing contest. I know the young writers in the community will love it, too!”
Ready, Set, Write!: Wednesday at 6 p.m.
Eland hosts a roundtable writers’ workshop for kids that includes instruction on basic plot, character, setting and voice. Kids will be exposed to examples from books and engage in short writing exercises. Event is a perfect platform to ask questions and discuss your own writing with a published author.
Writing Nights: Mondays, March 11 through April 15, 5-6 p.m.
Following the workshop students are encouraged to utilize weekly writing nights at The Bookworm. Writing Nights will be held on Monday evenings from 5-6 p.m. Tables will be set aside in the cafe for kids to meet and work on their writing. Kid-friendly cafe specials and helpful books will be available.
Contest Deadline: Sunday, April 21 at 5 p.m.
Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com with your grade level and the words “Ready, Set, Write!” in the subject. Entry fee and form can be submitted in person. Visit the store or http://www.bookwormofedwards.com for entry form and page requirements for each grade level.
Write to Win! Open Mic Night: May 1 at 6 p.m.
Winners will be announced at the Open Mic Night and all entrants to the first annual writing contest may read excerpts from their work. Winners will be featured in the Vail Daily, receive three copies of the published book including all winning stories, a $50 Bookworm gift card, and publisher swag. Honorable mentions will also receive prizes.
Writing Contest Guidelines and Requirements:
• There is a $5 fee for each entry (cash or check to The Bookworm)
• Entrants must be enrolled at any Eagle County school (public, private, or home school) in grades 3-12.
• Entries must be original and previously unpublished.
• Submissions must be a fiction or nonfiction short story, not an essay. Short stories have plot, characters, setting and dialogue.
• Stories must have a title.
• Stories must be typed in black Times New Roman font, 12-point size and double spaced. The number of required pages will depend on your grade level.
• Entrants are welcome to include illustrations to enhance the story, but will not be judged. Place illustrations behind the final page of your short story.
• In the upper left corner of your first page, please include entrant’s name, grade level, school, telephone number and email.
• Proofread and revise the story before submitting. Ask a teacher, parent or friend to help you with this process. Submit only your best work.
• Entries containing inappropriate material, including violence or profanity, will not be considered.
• Multiple submissions are not allowed. One story per person.
• Submissions must be emailed to The Bookworm by April 21 at 5 p.m. Email your story to firstname.lastname@example.org with your grade level and the words “Ready, Set, Write!” in the subject. Entry fee and form can be submitted in person.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User