Boy allegedly molested in Edwards
EDWARDS ” An Avon man was arrested July 5 in the alleged sexual assault of a 4-year-old boy at his mother’s apartment in Edwards.
The 33-year-old man ” whose name is being withheld to prevent identification of the boy ” is being held at the Eagle County jail on $15,000 bond for sexual assault of child by a person in a position of trust and other unrelated charges, court documents show.
The man also is being held for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to later determine whether he will be deported.
In an arrest affidavit obtained from Eagle County Court, the mother and boy’s names were blacked out to prevent identification. According to the affidavit written by Detective Doug Winters of the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office:
– The man temporarily lived at the Edwards apartment and was a friend and former co-worker of the boy’s mother.
– On June 21, the man offered to baby-sit the boy and his 3-year-old brother because the family’s normal baby sitter was not available.
– The man returned on June 29 with a suitcase and told the mother he planned to move to Denver. The 4-year-old yelled at the man “to get out” and accused the man of pulling his penis out of his pants.
– The boy told his mother and deputies the man tried to molest him at least two times on the same day. The man gave the boy a dollar for candy and told him not to tell anyone what happened.
– The boy’s 3-year-old brother was present at the time of the molestation.
– The mother and police later called the man (a tactic police use to get information). The mother told the man a doctor determined the boy suffered injuries. She also said she did not want to get police involved but she wanted the man to tell the truth. After several minutes, the woman began crying and hung up. She told deputies the man “admitted to doing it and did it because it seemed easy,” which police later confirmed after listening to a recording of the call.
– When deputies met with the man on July 5, he admitted to putting his penis on the child but denied raping him, at which point the deputies arrested him.
The man’s next court date is scheduled for Aug. 1 at 1 p.m. in Eagle County Court.
Staff Writer J.K. Perry can be reached at 748-2928 or email@example.com.