By mom, for mom: Shop from local artisans and business owners this Mother’s Day
Out on the town
Restaurants and shops across the valley are celebrating mothers with dining deals and sales on Mother’s Day. Here’s a sampling of what’s out there:
• Beaver Liquors (110 E Beaver Creek Blvd., Avon, 970-949-5040) is offering 20 percent off all wine and champagne on Mother’s Day. Hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• La Tour Restaurant (122 E. Meadow Drive, Vail Village, 970-476-4403) is serving Mother’s Day brunch from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., with a la carte menu items including eggs Benedict ($16), lobster Benedict ($18), burrata cheese omelet ($17), bananas Foster French toast ($16) and Madeleines with lemon curd dipping sauce ($5), plus Bloody Marys ($9) and bottomless mimosas ($18).
• At both Loaded Joe’s locations (82 E. Beaver Creek Blvd., No. 104, Avon, 970-748-1480; 227 Bridge St., Vail Village, 970-479-2883) moms eat free all day on Mother’s Day.
• Maya Modern Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria in The Westin Riverfront Resort (126 Riverfront Lane, Avon, 970-790-5500) will host a special Mother’s Day brunch from 10 a.m. to 2 pm. The buffet features a build-your-own omelet station, carved honey-glazed ham, assorted breakfast foods and pastries, cheese and charcuterie display and other lunch items and desserts. Price is $38 for adults and $15 for kid’s ages 5 to 12.
• The Sonnenalp Hotel (20 Vail Road, Vail Village, 970-479-5535) will host Mother’s Day brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., including a buffet of breakfast favorites such as eggs made to order, a fresh salad bar, seafood, pasta, a carving station with prime rib and more. Kids are invited to the Sonnenalp Kids Club to create a special gift for Mom, free for families partaking in brunch. Brunch is $54 for adults, $24 for children ages 6 to 12 and children 5 and younger are free; tax, gratuity and alcoholic beverages are not included.
• The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch (130 Daybreak Ridge Road, 970-748-6200) is hosting a Bubbles and Blooms Mother’s Day Brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Sunday. Cost is $65, or $85 with champagne, and includes a workshop for children to make floral bouquets for mom.
Looking for a last-minute gift for Mother’s Day? We’ve rounded up a few options made or sold by local moms, for moms.
Melanie Gompf makes signs and artwork from reclaimed wood and runs her business, Colorado Rose Designs, out of her home in Eagle. Each piece is individual and unique, due to individual wood qualities and hand-painted finishes.
“By far my most popular sellers are the Colorado flags,” she said. “I think anyone that lives in Colorado is proud to call it home and loves all that it has to offer — maybe not quite as much love as we have for our mums, but it’s close. These can be personalized with sayings or phrases, too.”
Check out her work on her Facebook page by searching “Colorado Rose Designs,” or contact Gompf at 970-331-4841 or firstname.lastname@example.org to order something special for Mother’s Day.
“I think people in general could benefit from feeling a little more appreciated in life, but mums in particular need to feel that,” Gompf said. “There are so many pressures put onto mums in our society, and I think a lot of mums live with the feeling that they could always be doing better. So many things that we do go unnoticed, and it’s important to stop for a minute and say a sincere thank-you.”
Avon resident Bonnie Collins creates crocheted items such as hats, purses, skirts, tank tops and hair accessories and sells them through her Etsy shop, Simple Stitches.
“My long-stem roses make great Mother’s Day gifts because (according to a very happy customer) they’re cheaper than real roses and they never die,” she said.
All of her crocheted roses are buy one, get one free for Mother’s Day “because Mom does all she can for the ones she loves every day of the year,” Collins said. “We can do the same for her one day out of the year.”
Shop online at etsy.com/shop/simplestitches16, or call Collins at 352-476-4540 for more information or to make a purchase.
Marybeth Bahan is a single mother of two boys and runs her office out of her home in Vail, selling Get Fresh bath and body products manufactured in Southern California.
“I love being local and would love to see the community embrace our product line,” she said, adding that the Get Fresh Bath and Body Renewal kit is a good choice for Mom. “It’s a great gift that consists of mineral bath soaks (perfect for a lovely bath), sugar body scrub and rich body crème.
“Every mom deserves some ‘me time,’ and this is a perfect gift so she can bathe, take care of her skin and feel refreshed and ready for her many roles in life.”
Get Fresh items can be purchased locally at Allegria Spa at the Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek or at Elements Day Spa in Eagle, or order online at getfresh.net. There’s free shipping on orders of $49 or more, and all orders of $75 or more will receive 25 percent when you use the coupon code MOM. Or use the code MB for 20 percent of any time as a gift from Bahan to all of the local mothers out there.
“Mother’s Day is just giving you a reason on the calendar to take the time to acknowledge your mother, but to me, I honor by own mother by being mindful of the gifts I do have, including my health, my family, friends and this wonderful place I call home,” Bahan said.
Magical Mala is the name for Colorado native and local mompreneur Tina Medina’s line of high-quality, handmade gemstone and crystal jewelry, and she recommends a traditional Magical Mala with tassel for Mom.
“It’s the perfect gift,” she said. “It can be worn as a necklace and doubles as a bracelet that can be wrapped several times around the wrist.”
Medina hosts private events and sells her creations in person at local artisan events, or you can shop for Mom online at http://www.mymagicalmala.com.
“The labor of love is one that can be unmatched by any other creature besides your own mother,” she said. “As a new mom, I now understand the most difficult yet rewarding job of being a mother.”
Support Local Journalism
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User