California man found dead at Aspen hotel due to apparent overdose
A 26-year-old Santa Monica, Calif., man found dead New Year’s Eve at the Hotel Jerome in Aspen may have died of a drug overdose, police said Wednesday.
Jonathan Irons was found by Aspen police officers in a room at the Hotel Jerome just before 9 p.m. with no pulse and not breathing, according to an Aspen police news release. Another man in the room was “awake but in an altered state of consciousness, also in distress,” the release states.
After a “witness in the room” told officers the unresponsive man may have suffered a drug overdose, officers administered an anti-overdose medication called Narcan, according to the release. It was not clear if the conscious man also received a dose of the drug.
Both men were taken to Aspen Valley Hospital where Irons was pronounced dead at 10:25 p.m. Monday.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
If the coronavirus sparks migration, what will that mean for places like Eagle County, which local economic development officials say is well-positioned to offer people the recreation and lifestyle opportunities they may be seeking?