Carbondale woman killed trying to cross Highway 82 |

Carbondale woman killed trying to cross Highway 82

Special to the DailyPam McPherson, 85, better known as "Granny," was killed when hit by multiple vehicles while reportedly attempting to cross Highway 82 on foot in the dark near her home east of Carbondale Tuesday night.

CARBONDALE, Colorado ” A longtime valley resident known around town as “Granny” McPherson was killed Tuesday night when she was struck by two vehicles while trying to walk across an unlit section of Highway 82 near her home.

According to the Colorado State Patrol, Pamela McPherson, 85, was apparently crossing the four-lane highway from north to south at about 10:03 p.m. Tuesday, about a half-mile east of the Carbondale/Highway 133 intersection. McPherson resided at 12665 Highway 82.

She was struck by a 1996 Plymouth minivan in the eastbound lanes, and after being knocked to the ground was struck a second time by a 2008 Nissan sedan.

Both vehicles maintained control and stopped in the right shoulder. The eastbound lanes of Highway 82 were closed for approximately three hours while the accident was investigated.

McPherson was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Trooper Matthew Billadeau. The drivers of both vehicles and the five passengers of the minivan were not injured, and no citations were issued.

Support Local Journalism

Alcohol is believed to be a factor on the part of McPherson; the case remains under investigation, Billadeau said Wednesday evening.

McPherson was featured in a December 2008 Glenwood Springs Post Independent article about her handmade puzzles.

She explained in the article that most people know her simply as “Granny.” She had been hand-crafting her own puzzles with a scroll saw for more than 50 years.

“They roped me into being a Girl Scout leader,” she said in the article.

McPherson had moved to Aspen in the 1950s because she loved to ski, and had been given five years to live after being diagnosed with cancer, she also related in the article.

She beat the cancer, though, and went on to run the “Eat-a-bite” restaurant in Glenwood Springs for a short time, and then ran the Snow Chase lodge in Aspen for about 20 years. She bought the lodge for a fraction of the $425,000 she sold it for before moving to Carbondale in 1978. She became an avid gardener in her later years living along the Roaring Fork River just below Highway 82.

Support Local Journalism