CDOT: Expect heavy traffic, delays heading to the mountains Friday and Saturday
September 1, 2017
The good news: There’s so much cool stuff happening in Vail and Beaver Creek over the Labor Day holiday weekend.
The bad news: If you’re heading here from the Front Range, it might take a little longer than usual.
The Colorado Department of Transportation is warning motorists to expect heavy traffic across the state this weekend, and in particular on Interstate 70 from the Front Range to the high country.
CDOT says travelers could experience one-hour delays Friday and Saturday on westbound I-70 from Denver to the mountains. The heaviest westbound traffic is expected to be from 2:30 to 7 p.m. Friday and from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. As the Labor Day weekend comes to a close, expect heavy traffic back to Denver beginning at 10 a.m. Monday.
Some other tips from CDOT:
- Plan ahead and check out COtrip.org for the latest travel conditions
- Avoid heavy travel times if possible
- Buckle up, put the phone down and drive sober
- Give plenty of space between your vehicle and the one ahead of you
- Check your blind spots
- Watch for wildlife crossings
- Drive the speed limit
- Heed the Move Over Law