Chemical spill cleanup underway in Vail Village
VAIL — Vail fire and work crews quickly corralled a small glycol spill Friday afternoon.
At about 4 p.m. Friday, crews responded to a call reporting a leak in Vail’s snowmelt system. A 17-year-old pipe developed a leak on East Meadow Drive near the pedestrian entry to the Vail Village parking garage, across from the Covered Bridge.
Between 250 and 500 gallons of propylene glycol spilled. Fire Chief Mark Novak says an unknown quantity entered a nearby storm drain that empties into Gore Creek.
Crews worked with responders from Vail’s public works department to create a containment area. The leak was isolated by 4:30 p.m.
Propylene glycol is a minimally hazardous antifreeze used to prevent the snowmelt system from freezing.
Environmental health and water regulatory agencies have been notified, Novak said.
The cleanup company, Interstate Restoration, was already working Friday afternoon.
The in-town bus route has been rerouted until the cleanup is complete and pedestrians will continue using a detour.
This particular pipe was installed in 1998.
Installation of a town-wide snowmelt system began in 2004, covering almost nine acres. It took five years to complete.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User