Cigarette caused deadly Mesa County house fire
ORCHARD MESA, Colo. – Fire investigators say a house fire that killed an 86-year-old woman was accidentally caused by a cigarette left on a couch.
The Mesa County Coroner’s office said Monday that Phyllis Williams died from carbon monoxide poisoning after inhaling smoke. Firefighters went to Williams’ house Saturday night after a neighbor noticed smoke pouring out of her home. Firefighters pulled Williams out, but she later died at St. Mary’s Hospital.
The Grand Junction Fire Department says the fire may have been smoldering for some time when firefighters arrived.
Six cats also died in the blaze.
Information from: The Daily Sentinel, http://www.gjsentinel.com
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Are we seeing more bears because there are more bears on the valley floor, or because we’re all spending more time at home? It could be a bit of both.