Colo. beavers succumbing to fatal bacteria
TELLURIDE, Colo. – Beavers found dead in western Colorado have likely succumbed to a common waterborne bacteria.
Colorado Division of Wildlife officials say that several beavers have been found dead in San Miguel and Gilpin counties. The culprit was an outbreak of a bacteria called tularemia, which can infect animals that spend a lot of time in water.
Five beavers have been found dead near Telluride, and three beaver carcasses were reported in Gilpin County.
Dr. Lisa Wolfe, a state wildlife veterinarian, says outbreaks of tularemia are common and pose little threat to humans.
Information from: The Daily Sentinel, http://www.gjsentinel.com