Colorado boy’s feet burned by invisible fire
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado ” Firefighters say coal dust sparked an invisible fire that heated the soil to 800 degrees and burned the feet of an 8-year-old boy.
Matt Bershinski walked into the fire Monday as he was playing in a park. It melted a plastic clogs to one of his feet and left him with second-degree burns.
There were no smoke or flames, which led firefighters to first suspect an underground mine was burning. Mining experts and geologists ruled that out but found a 2-foot-deep layer of coal dust
Authorities say hot weather and sunshine may have ignited the dust.
Al Amundson of the state Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety says coal is constantly oxidizing and can ignite if the heat from oxidization is not carried away by wind.
Officials believe the dust was dumped by workers from a mine that closed in 1957.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Due to budget shortfalls, Vail Resorts has pulled this winter’s funding for its cloud seeding program — the longest-running in the state at 44 years — potentially reducing the amount of water flowing down the…