Colorado senate gives initial OK to carbon monoxide bill
DENVER, Colorado ” State lawmakers are moving quickly to pass a bill that would boost the number of household carbon monoxide detectors in Colorado
The full Senate gave initial backing to the bill Thursday. The House has already approved it.
The father and stepmother of Lauren Johnson, a University of Denver student who died last month of carbon monoxide poisoning, were in the Senate chamber as the vote was taken.
If the bill passes another vote in the Senate, it could be signed into law within two weeks.
Lawmakers rejected a similar measure last year because they said it was pushed by detector manufacturers.
Some former opponents say they’ve been moved by the deaths of Johnson and four members of a Denver family who died while spending the weekend in an Aspen home.