Alleged Avon assault leads to arrest in Compton, California
November 24, 2016
AVON — The long arm of local law enforcement reached all the way to Compton, California, to catch a man accused of beating an Avon man so badly that the victim had to be transported to a Denver hospital.
Hector Samuel Palacios-Ulloa, 57, of Compton, California, is charged with beating an Avon man during an altercation in an Avon gas station a week ago. The victim has not been identified.
The victim was quickly transported to a local hospital for initial treatment, and then flown by helicopter to additional treatment.
Details are sketchy for now because the case is still under investigation, and prosecutors declined to say how the altercation started.
“It’s a case of outstanding interstate cooperation.” Heidi McCollumAssistant district attorney
Recommended Stories For You
Palacios-Ulloa left the scene and headed back to California, Avon police investigators said.
After investigators identified Palacios-Ulloa as their suspect, they obtained a nationwide warrant to access the coordinates of his cell phone, a process that's accurate to within a few meters.
Avon police contacted the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office, who quickly located Palacios-Ulloa and verified it was his phone pinging off those cellular towers, investigators said.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office Fugitive Apprehension Unit arrested Palacios-Ulloa in Paramount, east of Compton.
For now, Palacios-Ulloa remains in jail in Los Angeles County. However, due to the victim's severe injuries he will be extradited back to Eagle County to face charges, said Heidi McCollum, assistant district attorney.
"It's a case of outstanding interstate cooperation," McCollum said.
Palacios-Ulloa is charged with felony assault, causing serious bodily injury and harassment.
If convicted, he faces up to eight years in state prison.
Charges are accusations, and Palacios-Ulloa innocent until proven guilty, McCollum said.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Crime
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Accused Vail Valley murderer Leigha Ackerson to get psychiatric exam in state prison mental hospital
- Valerie Demarco sentenced to 10 years in Vail Valley forgery scheme
- Avon woman stabbed five times, suspect spotted with blood on his hands, pool of blood outside his door, police say
- Accused Sno-Cat stealer makes first Eagle County court appearance. Four counties want a piece of Jason Cuervo
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short to perform at Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater in Vail
- Full Vail Snow Days lineup announced