Denver man held in Flat Tops stabbing
June 13, 2014
EAGLE COUNTY — Ryan Cordova, 30, of Denver, was being held Friday on a $5,000 bond in connection with a stabbing incident Tuesday on the Flat Tops.
According to an arrest affidavit from the Garfield County Sheriff's Department, Cordova had been camping near Coffee Pot Road with Melissa Orozco, 38, since June 7. Orozco reportedly defined her relationship with Cordova as "friends with benefits," and told police the pair had come out to "detox," but had been drinking on the day of the incident.
Orozco's testimony in the affidavit reports she had fallen asleep in her vehicle and woke around 3 p.m. to find Cordova poking her with a knife. When the situation escalated, Cordova allegedly stabbed Orozco in the right leg.
Orozco then reportedly fled to a neighboring campsite while Cordova left in her car. The campers helped contact police and drove Orozco down to meet an ambulance. On their way, they passed Orozco's car wrecked by the side of the road.
The vehicle was later impounded as evidence, and a 3-inch Buck Knife was also recovered.
Eagle County deputies located Cordova around 6 a.m. Wednesday. He was later transferred to Garfield County Jail. Preliminary charges include second-degree assault and harassment, which will likely be treated as domestic violence for the purposes of sentencing.
Trending In: Crime
- Aspen parents face felony charges after giving coke to minor, alcohol to others
- Man asserts squatter’s rights over Aspen home
- Alleged Avon stabber moved to valley in April; Andrew Young Jr.’s bond set at $2 million in attempted murder case
- Breckenridge ski pass frauds see spring break uptick
- Avon woman stabbed five times, suspect spotted with blood on his hands, pool of blood outside his door, police say
- Letter: Let Vail Resorts worry about its own employees
- Crews clear rock slide blocking both lanes on I-70 near Dowd Junction
- Native son, local firefighter Eric Hill dies in CDOT accident
- Eagle County Schools names three superintendent finalists
- Whistle Pig Vail announces Nathaniel Rateliff as part of 2019 lineup