Denver man held in Flat Tops stabbing
June 13, 2014
EAGLE COUNTY — Ryan Cordova, 30, of Denver, was being held Friday on a $5,000 bond in connection with a stabbing incident Tuesday on the Flat Tops.
According to an arrest affidavit from the Garfield County Sheriff's Department, Cordova had been camping near Coffee Pot Road with Melissa Orozco, 38, since June 7. Orozco reportedly defined her relationship with Cordova as "friends with benefits," and told police the pair had come out to "detox," but had been drinking on the day of the incident.
Orozco's testimony in the affidavit reports she had fallen asleep in her vehicle and woke around 3 p.m. to find Cordova poking her with a knife. When the situation escalated, Cordova allegedly stabbed Orozco in the right leg.
Orozco then reportedly fled to a neighboring campsite while Cordova left in her car. The campers helped contact police and drove Orozco down to meet an ambulance. On their way, they passed Orozco's car wrecked by the side of the road.
The vehicle was later impounded as evidence, and a 3-inch Buck Knife was also recovered.
Eagle County deputies located Cordova around 6 a.m. Wednesday. He was later transferred to Garfield County Jail. Preliminary charges include second-degree assault and harassment, which will likely be treated as domestic violence for the purposes of sentencing.
Trending In: Crime
- Russian spammers the likely source of fake email bomb threats, IT experts say
- Jury convicts former Lake County undersheriff Fernando Mendoza guilty of aggravated incest
- Woman found in Vail Dumpster requests exclusion of police testimony from trial, scheduled for February
- No charges in Burns shooting case
- Trust your gut: Man at center of I-70 stabbing incident warns public
- Beaver Creek extends hours, opens more terrain Saturday
- Colorado Parks and Wildlife arrests 2 Florida men for poaching after anonymous tip
- Vail Pass upgrades will have to balance needs of motorists, cyclists, wildlife
- More than 2,400 petition signatures oppose Berlaimont plan north of Edwards