Eagle County detective leads Conejos County fraud sting
July 14, 2015
CONEJOS – The long arm of Eagle County's law enforcement reached into Conejos County and came away with five arrests, including three of the top people in that county's Social Services department.
Lt. Dan Loya, a detective with the Eagle County Sheriff's Office, led an investigation of the Conejos County's Department of Social Services. Loya assisted Conejos County Sheriff Howard Galvez, who asked Eagle County Sheriff James van Beek for the help.
When they were through, three Conejos County Social Services department employees were arrested for welfare fraud and charged with felonies, along with the director's daughter and the father of the daughter's baby.
Maria Theresa Garcia, 41, of Antonito, was director of the Conejos County department of Social Services when she allegedly falsified documents to receive more than $6,000 in benefits to which she was not entitled, the investigation found. She faces four felony charges.
Maria allegedly coordinated more than $8,000 in illegal benefits for her daughter Amanda Garcia, 18, also of Antonito. Amanda faces two felony charges. Colorado Temporary Assistance for Needy Families/Colorado Works rules that dependents are not eligible for benefits.
Kolton Wade Rogers, 20, of Antonito, is the father of Amanda's baby and is accused of submitting an application that was incomplete and inaccurate. He received benefits based on that information, the investigation found.
Recommended Stories For You
Jennifer Vigil-Garcia, 29, of Antonito, is the Conejos County intake technician who processed the public assistance cases. She was arrested when she arrived at the Conejos County Sheriff's Office to speak with an investigator. She is charged with six felonies.
Kathryn Broyles, 65, of Antonito, also faces six felonies. She was the deputy director of the Conejos County Department of Social Services and was Vigil-Garcia's supervisor.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Crime
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Valerie Demarco sentenced to 10 years in Vail Valley forgery scheme
- Accused Vail Valley murderer Leigha Ackerson to get psychiatric exam in state prison mental hospital
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Judge calls Pedro Gonzalez attempted murder case ‘unexplainable’ in handing down 42-year sentence
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Former Vail Valley arts patron Alberto Vilar trying to enjoy what’s left of his life after 10-year prison stint
- Town of Vail likely to change short-term rental regulations in response to complaints
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort