Garfield County jail releases wrong inmate, re-captures him the next morning
January 23, 2018
GARFIELD COUNTY — A Garfield County jail inmate who had been released in error late Monday night, Jan. 22, was re-arrested and returned to jail about six hours later.
On Monday at approximately 11 p.m., Armando Jose Mayo, 19, escaped through a release error by committing identity theft/criminal impersonation, according to a news release from the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.
He was being held on a failure to comply/failure to pay charges from Mesa County. Mayo had been arrested in Garfield County on a Mesa County felony drug possession case, but ended up being released under a false identity, according to the Sheriff's Office.
He was located at approximately 4:40 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 23, arrested and transported to the Garfield County Jail.
The release states that Mayo will face additional charges stemming from his escape. The jail's inmate list had showed Mayo being held on new charges Tuesday, including felony escape, forgery, felony criminal impersonation and felony theft.
Trending In: Crime
- Denver man gets two years in state prison after speeding through Vail in a stolen car
- Authorities want to question man in mountain bike theft from Edwards storefront
- Alleged murderer pleads not guilty; October trial set for Jacob White, Catherine Kelley’s alleged killer
- Alleged Avon stabber Andrew Young’s prelim set for October; he remains in jail on $2 million bond in knife attack case
- Avon woman stabbed five times, suspect spotted with blood on his hands, pool of blood outside his door, police say
- Silver Creek Fire near Kremmling grows to 3,198 acres; air quality advisory in effect for Eagle County
- Vail Valley’s most extravagant outdoor water users facing fines, disconnection
- Gypsum Town Council approves 591-unit Siena Lake proposal
- Lives in progress, a thing to behold: Carol Conger helped thousands of Vail Valley people start life right
- Vail businesses say they’re ready for Colorado Classic parking changes, crowds