Greeley police arrest five people after routine call early Saturday morning
May 22, 2017
GREELEY — Greeley police officers arrested five people Saturday morning after getting a routine call of men looking into cars.
At 3:56 a.m., the caller reported the men were looking at cars and trying the doors to see if they were unlocked near a hotel in the 700 block of 13th Street.
When officers arrived, they first identified Joaquin Leon of Greeley. He was a probation client who had two drug warrants and a warrant for assault, according to a news release. He was taken into custody. Officers found a .22-caliber handgun in Leon's backpack, which added a felony charge of possession of a weapon by a previous offender.
Officers identified a second man, Juan Carlos Valdez-Venagas of Cheyenne. Officers originally detained him because he didn't identify himself. They soon found he had a warrant out of Cheyenne and officers arrested him.
Officers learned the two men were staying in a room at the hotel and went to investigate. They saw a third man enter the room as they approached it, according to the release.
The man turned out to be Eddie Rodriguez, another probation client who officers arrested on multiple warrants involving drugs and weapons.
Recommended Stories For You
Officers then found a woman named Margaret Rafaelle Ontiveros of Greeley also in the room. She had an escape warrant out of parole and had a warrant for drug charges.
Brian Michael Reed of Greeley also was in the room. He had a warrant for his arrest, as well.
All five people were booked into the Weld County Jail on various charges and remained in custody as of Sunday morning, according to the release.
"This incident provides an example of what our officers get into almost every night," Police Chief Jerry Garner said in the release. "A seemingly simple call turns up one suspect after another. Very often weapons are involved. It makes our officers' work more risky, but they do it incredibly well."
Trending In: Crime
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Accused Vail Valley murderer Leigha Ackerson to get psychiatric exam in state prison mental hospital
- Valerie Demarco sentenced to 10 years in Vail Valley forgery scheme
- Denver man gets two years in state prison after speeding through Vail in a stolen car
- Co-defendant testifies in Ramon Villa sexual assault trial
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area COO Henceroth chimes in on Opening Day
- Feeling trolled, Breckenridge residents want popular, wooden sculpture removed
- Loveland man dies in East Vail crash. No one else injured in Sunday evening accident
- Colorado ski season kicks off at Wolf Creek Ski Area
- Ski.com and Epic Pass are accepting applications for the dream ski job