Man convicted in Gypsum carjacking sentenced to 20 years |

Man convicted in Gypsum carjacking sentenced to 20 years

EAGLE — Forest Mangus admitted he stole a car and robbed a motel, both at gunpoint, and he will spend 20 years in prison reconsidering his life choices.

Mangus, 32, pleaded guilty to two counts of felony theft, carjacking and armed robbery, both crimes of violence because he used a gun.

Rebecca Wiard, the assistant district attorney prosecuting the case, said he has a long history of misdemeanor convictions. He has one prior felony conviction for motor vehicle theft.

On Feb. 10, Mangus went to the Comfort Inn in Eagle and held the innkeeper at gunpoint, demanding money. The innkeeper refused, said Wiard.

Mangus then went to Gypsum, where he found his next victim in a car wash soaping down her Subaru. He approached her, pulled his handgun and held it to her head while he took her money and her car.

Support Local Journalism

He drove the car to Glenwood Springs and gave it to his girlfriend. They had the car for a couple days and eventually abandoned it.

When police caught up with him, Mangus was already in the Garfield County jail serving a stretch on unrelated charges.

Prosecutor Scott Turner, the 9th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, said Mangus will also be sentenced for Garfield County crimes, but they’ll wait for Eagle County to finish with him.

Mangus was wearing a mask when he tried to rob Eagle’s Comfort Inn at gunpoint. When the innkeeper refused, he fled the hotel and jumped into a getaway car parked at Eagle’s City Market, just several dozen yards west of the hotel.

The getaway car was described as a maroon and silver Subaru hatchback.

About a half hour later, he held a gun to a woman’s temple and stole money and her car while she was washing her car at the Big Dog car wash in Gypsum.

He drove her car, a white 2011 Subaru Outback, west out of Gypsum.

Twelve days later, on Feb. 22, the Rifle Police Department were notified by a citizen who reported a 2011 white Subaru Outback station wagon had been left unattended for several days in a residential area of town.

A joint investigation involving the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office, the Rifle Police Department, the Eagle Police Department, and the Garfield County Sheriff’s Office led to Mangus, who was already in the Garfield County Jail.

Mangus is scheduled to be sentenced at 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 17.

Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or

Support Local Journalism