Man’s charges reduced from attempted murder to assault |

Man’s charges reduced from attempted murder to assault

Paris Aguilera Baeza
Special to the Daily |

EAGLE — Charges against a Mexican attorney were reduced from attempted murder to assault, and he’s free on bond following a confrontation earlier this month in a luxury Vail hotel.

Paris Aguilera Baeza’s bond was reduced from $500,000 to $25,000, and he was out of the Eagle County jail by 4 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. Judge Katharine Sullivan gave him his passport back and he’ll soon be on his way back to Mexico.

Baeza, 40, still faces two counts of assault and a couple misdemeanors for what prosecutors and police are calling a “good Samaritan” incident.

Baeza’s defense attorney, Jim Fahrenholtz, presented two pages of information about the case to Judge Sullivan during Tuesday’s hearing. What information those pages contained has not yet been disclosed to the public, but the two sides have much different views about the case against Baeza.

“The physical and medical evidence in this case will dispute the victim’s (Jason Blick) claims,” Fahrenholtz said.

District Attorney Bruce Brown said Blick’s “heroic intervention likely saved a woman from serious harm.”

“We are grateful for his selflessness and relieved that he is on the road to recovery from his injuries,” Brown said.

‘I died for five minutes’

The victim, Blick, has since returned home to Grand Cayman, where he is the former chief executive officer of Cayman Enterprise City. He told Alan Markoff, of The Cayman Compass, that he expects to return to the Vail Valley to testify.

“When they found me, I had went blue,” Blick told the Cayman Compass. He said he wasn’t breathing and had no pulse.

“I died for five minutes,” he said.

What police say happened

According to Vail police documents, staffers at The Sebastian Hotel in Vail found Blick unconscious in the hall after Blick rushed Baeza and tackled him after Blick’s girlfriend said she saw Baeza assaulting a woman. Blick had been choked, police said.

Blick was rushed to the Vail Valley Medical Center and later flown by helicopter to Denver Health Center.

During a search that night, Vail police found Baeza under the sheets in a child’s bed and arrested him.

After Tuesday’s hearing, Baeza bonded out, with plans to head back to Mexico, Fahrenholtz said.

Baeza is due back in court at 9 a.m. on Jan. 19.

Baeza is not a flight risk, Fahrenholtz said. Baeza owns a home in Florida and has traveled back and forth between the U.S. and Mexico more than 150 times in his life, Fahrenholtz said.

“He’s a respected attorney. He shows up for court in Mexico every day. He’ll show up for court here,” Fahrenholtz said.

Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and rwyrick@

Support Local Journalism