Seven-hour Dotsero SWAT standoff case ends with six-year prison sentence
February 1, 2018
EAGLE — A Dotsero's man troubles started with a seven-hour standoff in May with a SWAT team and ended Wednesday, Jan. 31, with a seven-year sentence.
Santos Crespin, 37, will spend six years in prison and at least one year on parole. He barricaded himself in a mobile home on May 9, 2017, surrounded by the Sheriff's Special Operations Unit until he emerged, unarmed, seven hours later. Throughout the day, Sheriff's deputies did not know whether he was armed.
The whole thing started earlier that day following a domestic dispute when a crying woman walked into a Gypsum convenience store. The Sheriff's Office was called to the Dotsero mobile home.
Because the SWAT team did not know whether Crespin was armed, they used a MRAP (mine-resistant ambush protected) armored vehicle to move neighbors to a safe location.
Crespin was on parole when all of this happened. As fate would have it, his parole officers were in Glenwood Springs on business when they received the call. One of his parole officers handled the negotiations with Crespin, convincing him to surrender after about a half hour.
Crespin was arrested without incident. Deputies found a revolver when they searched the trailer.
Recommended Stories For You
Crespin was charged with felony menacing, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and domestic violence.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or email@example.com.
Trending In: Crime
- Valerie Demarco sentenced to 10 years in Vail Valley forgery scheme
- Accused Vail Valley murderer Leigha Ackerson to get psychiatric exam in state prison mental hospital
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Alleged Avon stabber moved to valley in April; Andrew Young Jr.’s bond set at $2 million in attempted murder case
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Fire is burning north of Dotsero, near Sweetwater resort
- Aspen girl speaks out in video about alleged rape
- Hahnewald barn’s proposed first move would cost $390K, take up 12 parking spaces in downtown Avon