Seven-hour Dotsero SWAT standoff case ends with six-year prison sentence
February 1, 2018
EAGLE — A Dotsero's man troubles started with a seven-hour standoff in May with a SWAT team and ended Wednesday, Jan. 31, with a seven-year sentence.
Santos Crespin, 37, will spend six years in prison and at least one year on parole. He barricaded himself in a mobile home on May 9, 2017, surrounded by the Sheriff's Special Operations Unit until he emerged, unarmed, seven hours later. Throughout the day, Sheriff's deputies did not know whether he was armed.
The whole thing started earlier that day following a domestic dispute when a crying woman walked into a Gypsum convenience store. The Sheriff's Office was called to the Dotsero mobile home.
Because the SWAT team did not know whether Crespin was armed, they used a MRAP (mine-resistant ambush protected) armored vehicle to move neighbors to a safe location.
Crespin was on parole when all of this happened. As fate would have it, his parole officers were in Glenwood Springs on business when they received the call. One of his parole officers handled the negotiations with Crespin, convincing him to surrender after about a half hour.
Crespin was arrested without incident. Deputies found a revolver when they searched the trailer.
Recommended Stories For You
Crespin was charged with felony menacing, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and domestic violence.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Crime
- Soft cuffs and Gorilla tape were ‘consensual’ for San Diego man accused of attempted murder
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Former Leadville police chief sentenced for pawning guns he stole from evidence locker
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Accused murderers ‘likely’ called an Uber in Pilgrim Downs killing, Sheriff confirms
- Whistle Pig Vail: Everything you need to know about the new summer concert series coming to Vail
- With gold and silver, Mikaela Shiffrin savors the ‘incredibly sweet’ moment
- Alterra reveals Ikon Pass pricing; Aspen-Snowmass role includes 7 days combined
- History of Avon, Part 1: Town of Avon celebrating 40th birthday on Saturday, Feb. 24
- It’s a family matter: Gisin wins gold in combi; Shiffrin second