Summit County man steals bike, accidentally sells it to victim’s boyfriend
August 16, 2017
A would-be thief found the tables turned on him when he unwittingly tried to sell a stolen bike to his victim's boyfriend on July 30.
The bicycle was first reported stolen that morning and was said to have been originally purchased two years ago for $3,600. Shortly after the report, a man went to a shop in Breckenridge and asked if anyone would like to buy the bike for $50.
Another man at the store, who turned out to be the victim's boyfriend, asked the man if the bike was stolen. The thief responded that it wasn't and that he had gotten it for free off of the Facebook group One Man's Junk.
The man then asked the thief if he had an ID. He didn't, he said, so he instead showed the man a tattoo of his last name that he had.
The man then bought the bike and called the police.
An officer went to the store and recognized the suspect when the man at the shop showed him a photo he had taken of him.
Recommended Stories For You
That evening, the officer found the suspect and arrested him for felony theft, felony possession of burglary tools and criminal mischief.
About a week later, the man was charged with criminal mischief for breaking a window in the jail with his juice cup. Jail staff estimated the window would cost roughly $3,000 to repair.
Trending In: Crime
- Accused Vail Valley murderer Leigha Ackerson to get psychiatric exam in state prison mental hospital
- Catherine Kelley’s murderer pleads guilty to killing Vail Valley woman, says he ‘hates’ what he did
- Valerie Demarco sentenced to 10 years in Vail Valley forgery scheme
- Ritz Bachelor Gulch owner opts to fight felony charges
- Alleged Avon stabber moved to valley in April; Andrew Young Jr.’s bond set at $2 million in attempted murder case
- Arson on the mountain: Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were country’s worst eco-terrorist attack
- Vail Resorts, local business groups announce Merchant Pass options for 2018-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Standoff near Breckenridge between police and armed suspect
- Bear sighting in Avon, video captured in resident’s backyard