Alleged Vail marijuana dealer busted for trying to trade pot for Teller Sheriff’s SUV
January 3, 2018
DIVIDE — The Teller County Sheriff was trying to sell his personal SUV online, and an alleged Vail drug dealer tried to trade four pounds of black-market marijuana for it.
Shawn Langley, 39, of Vail, answered Teller County Sheriff Jason Mikesell's Craigslist ad for the personal vehicle Mikesell was trying to sell, according to Cmdr. Greg Couch, Teller County Sheriff's Office public information officer.
Instead of cash, Langley and accomplice Jane Cravens, also of Vail, offered Mikesell around four pounds of marijuana that Langley claimed was "high quality" and "organically grown," Mikesell told KDVR Denver.
"I received a text message one night suggesting that I trade my vehicle for marijuana," Mikesell said.
The marijuana is worth $1,500 a pound in Colorado. But outside Colorado, it could be worth $2,500 to $3,600 per pound.
Apparently, Langley did not know he was talking to the sheriff. He even texted pictures of the marijuana to Mikesell.
Recommended Stories For You
"It seems like our suspect was familiar with making trades on Craigslist," Mikesell said.
Detectives picked up on the opportunity immediately and set up a buy/bust to see if Langley was serious. Apparently, he was. Langley and Cravens were arrested in possession of approximately four pounds of marijuana.
"It was probably a surprise for both him and me from me receiving a text to how all this ended," Mikesell said. "It had a favorable ending for us, not so favorable for him."
Langley and Cravens are scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Monday, Jan. 8, in Teller County District Court.
Teller County is west of Colorado Springs.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and email@example.com.
Trending In: Crime
- Soft cuffs and Gorilla tape were ‘consensual’ for San Diego man accused of attempted murder
- San Diego man allegedly zip-tied his girlfriend, tried to strangle her in Vail lodge, faces attempted murder
- Former Leadville police chief sentenced for pawning guns he stole from evidence locker
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Accused murderers ‘likely’ called an Uber in Pilgrim Downs killing, Sheriff confirms
- Whistle Pig Vail: Everything you need to know about the new summer concert series coming to Vail
- With gold and silver, Mikaela Shiffrin savors the ‘incredibly sweet’ moment
- Alterra reveals Ikon Pass pricing; Aspen-Snowmass role includes 7 days combined
- History of Avon, Part 1: Town of Avon celebrating 40th birthday on Saturday, Feb. 24
- It’s a family matter: Gisin wins gold in combi; Shiffrin second