Vail Police arrest two men with $20K in stolen goods stashed in economy car
March 5, 2018
VAIL — Two men allegedly stole more than $20,000 in merchandise from luxury shops in Vail and then got caught when they stashed it in an economy car.
Just before 5 p.m. Sunday, March 4, Vail Police received a shoplifting report from the Tommy Bowers Ski Shop in the Solaris Plaza. Store staffers said two men stole $1,000 worth of merchandise.
Police soon learned that two men had been targeting high-end retail stores, allegedly stealing ski apparel and accessories and storing the stolen items in their vehicle, a white Kia Soul.
After the suspects were identified by the store employees, Vail Police Officers spotted the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop
Vail Police say they suspect the two men stole more than $20,000 worth of items from multiple other locations. Police are working to identify those retailers.
The alleged thieves had pretty good taste, reportedly targeting brands including Altrec clothing, Garmin electronics, North Face clothing and accessories, Arc'teryx clothing and Kjus ski clothing.
Recommended Stories For You
The two men, Bounkhong Phongboupha, 39, of Pinole, Califronia, and Alan Badasack Phongboupha, 27, of Thornton, are charged with second-degree burglary, theft, criminal impersonation and criminal possession of identification.
They're being held in the Eagle County jail and make their first court appearance Tuesday, March 6, before Judge Rachel Olguin-Fresquez.
Police are looking for additional information about the two men's movements through the state, other stolen property or the travels of the vehicle.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Jesse Rector at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-479-2339.
Staff Writer Randy Wyrick can be reached at 970-748-2935 and email@example.com.
Trending In: Crime
- Instead of 32 years in prison, Leadville woman sentenced to two years probation
- Vail Valley man, 53, gets three years in prison for indecent exposure to teens
- Vail Valley’s Case of the Stolen Sno-Cat solved, alleged thief still at large
- Nigerian man is second one jailed for alleged Vail Valley financial scam that hit local woman
- Edwards murder suspects want separate trials, prosecutors want them tried together
- Shiffrin says she’ll ‘keep it simple’ next season
- Lindsey Vonn finishes with final podium and sense of YOLO
- Vail, seeking an event to fill beds in May, to partially fund MMA at ice arena
- 8 places to party near Vail on St. Patrick’s Day
- Department of Wildlife: ‘Blast of winter-type weather’ likely led to uptick in mountain lion sightings