DA calls for grand jury in Aspen-area carbon monoxide deaths
Aspen, CO Colorado
ASPEN, Colorado ” Ninth Judicial District Attorney Martin Beeson said Wednesday he filed a motion to order a grand jury to investigate the carbon monoxide-related deaths of a family at a home outside of Aspen on Thanksgiving weekend.
Beeson said he filed the motion Wednesday with Pitkin County District Court. He made his remarks at an afternoon press conference at the courthouse.
District Court Judge James Boyd is soon expected to rule on the motion.
The announcement comes on the heels of a months-long investigation by the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office.
The sheriff’s office launched the inquiry into the deaths of the Lofgren family shortly after their bodies were discovered by friends in a bedroom of the home at 10 Popcorn Lane, one day after Thanksgiving.
An autopsy determined Parker Lofgren, 39; his wife, Caroline, 42; and their two children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8, died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For more on the latest development in the case, see Thursday’s Post Independent.