Driver, passenger, horse OK after Eagle County collision |

Driver, passenger, horse OK after Eagle County collision

Special to the Daily

AVON, Colorado – An Edwards woman, a friend and a horse are all bruised but fine after a Thursday evening accident along Interstate 70. Auto-horse accidents usually end much worse than this.

The horse, owned by someone pasturing sheep north of Avon – who didn’t want to be identified for this story – somehow slipped away from camp, and early Thursday evening ended up on the interstate near the Post Boulevard exit – the one that leads to Wal-Mart.

That’s when Jill Hughes and her friend Elif Kiral were driving from Vail to Hughes’ home in Edwards. Hughes was momentarily distracted by the sight of a woman running alongside the road and several cars parked on the westbound highway on-ramp at Post Boulevard. After looking to the right, she looked back ahead to see a horse in the road.

Hughes had time to hit the brakes and swerve, so she and the horse basically sideswiped each other.

Hughes drove to the main Avon exit and met police at a convenience store there. Her car was damaged on the right side, and Hughes and Kiral both suffered some minor cuts when the passenger-door window was shattered by the collision. After a quick trip to the emergency room, Hughes said Friday morning that she and her friend were OK, but still shaken.

Participate in The Longevity Project

The Longevity Project is an annual campaign to help educate readers about what it takes to live a long, fulfilling life in our valley. This year Kevin shares his story of hope and celebration of life with his presentation Cracked, Not Broken as we explore the critical and relevant topic of mental health.

The same was true of the horse.

After the accident, the horse was captured, and Mountain Valley Horse Rescue was called.

Rescue group president Shana Devins came from Eagle to Avon with her horse trailer, and local large animal vet Shiela Fitzpatrick was called to check on the animal.

The horse spent the night at a Gypsum ranch, where Fitzpatrick checked it again in the morning and a search began for the owner, who recovered the animal late Friday morning.

Devins said the horse was also shaken, but not badly injured.

“Everyone was very fortunate,” Devins said.

Support Local Journalism