Drug fliers get boys suspended
Vail, CO Colorado
Fliers, describing ‘benefits’ of meth amphetamine, placed on windshields at school, FRUITA ” A pair of Fruita Monument High School students were suspended Wednesday after admitting to distributing hundreds of fliers promoting methamphetamine.
One of two boys, whose names were not released, told Fruita Monument administrators what the pair had done, said school district spokesman Jeff Kirtland.
The suspensions are “relatively short,” he said.
“This was not part of any kind of class activity … it seems to be isolated,” Kirtland said.
Fliers can only be distributed at school parking lots with administration’s pre-approval, he said.
Fliers were tucked under windshield wipers on vehicles at the school’s parking lot on Tuesday, Kirtland said.
That afternoon, hundreds of the fliers turned up on vehicles parked near Mesa Mall and at a Wal-Mart. One person reported it to 911 emergency dispatchers at 3:23 p.m., according to Grand Junction police.
“Meth ” One man’s risk, is another man’s benefit,” the fliers read. “Trusted and used since 1887.”
They also advised, “Don’ Let the Man melt your ‘Ice'”! and listed “benefits of crystal meth use” ” “Great for weight loss!”; “Treats narcolepsy and ADHD!”; “Alleviate cold and allergy symptoms!”; “Temporarily improves athletic abilities!”; “Increased awareness!”
Grand Junction officers on Tuesday removed the fliers at Mesa Mall and Wal-Mart.
The boys won’t face criminal charges.
Police spokeswoman Linda Bowman said the fliers, while touting an “ill-advised and distasteful message,” are protected free speech.
The fliers didn’t list a specific business, or contact information ” i.e., not soliciting in the eyes of the law.
Neither Mesa Mall or Wal-Mart sought to press charges, Bowman said.
Support Local Journalism
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
The operating license for Kent Funeral Home in Gypsum has been summarily suspended by the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies following an investigation that revealed disturbing conditions at an associated funeral home in Leadville.